OB/GYN Reflection

I truly enjoyed my time on my OB/GYN rotation. I always found the conceptual and theoretical aspects of OB/GYN to be very interesting, so I was looking forward to experiencing the practical side of the specialty through my rotation. Before this rotation, I had no prior hands-on experience with OB/GYN and for certain reasons I always found this specialty to be intimidating. 

I have also been very squeamish in the past concerning invasive procedures involving the female reproductive system. This rotation ended up pushing me out of my comfort zone and putting me in a position where I had to face things, I always found daunting. On my first day, I was originally afraid to perform a speculum exam but by the end of my rotation, I was eager to do every speculum exam I was allowed to.

With my surgery rotation being closer to the end of my clinical year I was able to have my first experience with surgeries this rotation and got the opportunity to assist the residents during surgeries (cesarean sections) and a vaginal delivery. The surgery aspect was very fascinating. 

There were both OB and GYN-related surgeries that I got to observe such as the removal of ovarian cysts, endometrial biopsies, hysterectomy, and salpingo-oophorectomy. 

In regard to interactions with peers, I loved working together with other PA students and medical students and working together as a team. I also loved my interactions with patients, and it felt easier to develop relationships with the patients especially after repeatedly seeing some during their routine visits. I also enjoyed working with the residents who at least from my experience were always eager to explain concepts to me and were willing to teach or engage me in procedures, interviews, and patient exams. The residents and students challenged me to want to learn more even past the scope of our lectures. I enjoyed my time at this rotation and have noted the growth in myself over time. 

This rotation has confirmed my interest in OBGYN and I am excited to see what the future holds for me.